|$ Labor Costs: $400-$1,200||$ $ AC Compressor: $300-$1,600 (parts only)||$ $ $ AC compressor + Installation: $1,000-$3,000+|
The AC compressor is one of the most essential parts of any AC because it’s responsible for the heat-transfer function that lets the cool air into your house.
The compressor is in charge of pumping refrigerant throughout the unit, which lets it produce cool air.
Sadly, the compressor is one of the parts of the AC that can get damaged over time and use, and it’s also one of the most expensive parts to replace.
Table of Contents
Which Are The Signs Of A Bad Home AC Compressor?
According to Blairs Air, there are several signs that tell you the AC compressor is not working properly and it’s time for repair or a replacement:
- Your AC Is Making Growling, Screeching, or Clattering Noises
- You Have a Hard Time Getting Your AC to Start
- Your AC Stops Blowing Cold Air
- Circuit Breaker Problems
- Diminished Airflow
What Affects The Price Of An AC Compressor?
The price of an AC compressor will vary depending on many factors such as the size, the type and model of AC you have, the brand, your location, if the installation is included, and the company performing the job.
Typically, the cost of an AC compressor can go from $1,000 to $3,000 or more, including the professional installation.
Just buying the parts or compressor that fits your unit can go from $300 to $1,600.
Typically, labor costs go from $400 to $1,200.
Home Advisor made a comparison between AC compressors costs depending on the type of AC.
|Type of AC||Price|
|Central Air||$800 – $2,800|
|Window Unit||$100 – $200|
|Mini-Split||$400 – $1,800
You can get an AC compressor at online retailers like Amazon and AutoZone.
Things to consider
- First, it’s advisable to search for different AC specialists and ask for quotations to compare prices.
- Ask the professionals about the warranty they give for their job and also the retailer if you buy the compressor separately.
- Make sure the compressor matches your AC unit.
- Some retailers include the installation with the purchase.
- Usually, when the compressor is replaced the controller boards and caps need to be replaced too.
- It’s important to check the AC refrigerant level. The cost of a home AC refrigerant refill is approximately $100 to $350.