|$ Asphalt Resurfacing: $1.50-$7 per square foot||$ $ Asphalt Replacement: $8-$15 per square foot|
The accessibility of a house is an essential part of it, which makes the need of having a beautiful, safe, and well maintained driveway a must.
When people first arrive to a house the first thing they notice is the driveway, but they can get very worn out due to the constant use over time, which can affect how your house looks.
Having a worn asphalt driveway can not only affect its functionality of it, but it can also lower the aesthetic appeal and value of your house.
Table of Contents
What Is Asphalt Resurfacing?
Asphalt resurfacing is the process of repairing an asphalt driveway, street or parking lot, with a new layer of asphalt about three inches thick that is laid on top of the existing asphalt, creating a new appearance.
Depending on the damage or what you want, you can choose from simply patching the areas that are in poor condition and filling the cracks, or you can repair and asphalt a whole area, which would entail ripping out the old asphalt.
What Can Damage An Asphalt Driveway?
According to ShattuckPaving.com, there are many factors that can cause asphalt to damage, such as:
- Poor installation
- Heavy loads
- Tree roots
- Rock salt
- Studded tires
- Oil Spots
- Shoveling snow
When Can I Resurface An Asphalt Driveway?
People can resurface an asphalt driveway when:
- Less than 25% to 30% of the surface needs repairs.
- The existing driveway is less than 15 to 20 years old.
- Cracks are less than 0.25″ to 0.75″ wide and 2″ deep on the driveway surface.
- The pavement requires frequent patching repairs.
- Foundation is still in good condition.
- The surface color is light gray, signaling weak oxidized asphalt that cracks easily.
What Are The Signs You Need To Resurface Your Driveway?
According to Doitbest.com, you may need to resurface your driveway if you have:
- Alligator Cracks.
- Potholes or Bird Baths.
- Pooling Water.
What Affects The Price Of Asphalt Resurfacing?
The final price of resurfacing an asphalt driveway depends on many factors like the company performing the job, the size of the job, the driveway dimensions, and geographical location.
The costs for asphalt resurfacing typically range from $1.50 to $7 per square foot; a driveway of 750 square feet could cost $1,125 to $5,250.
If your asphalt driveway has more than 20 years it may be time to replace it completely as resurfacing won’t get you the results you want; asphalt replacement costs $8 to $15 per square foot.
The best way to get a professional to resurface the asphalt of your driveway is through local contractors; there are many specialists and contractors that work with asphalt and you can always ask for a quote online, some examples of them include BrothersPaving.com, GreyRuso.com, ThePavingCrew.com, and ThomasNet.com.
Things to consider
- Ask your local contractors and also online specialized websites to get as many quotations for the job as you can.
- Make sure the contractor you want for the job is insured and licensed.
- If you want to change the pattern or color of your driveway the price can be higher, as much as $8 per square foot.
- If your driveway is damaged, you have to get it repaired before doing an asphalt resurfacing, which can cost $1 to $4 per square foot of the damaged area.
- Asphalt resurfacing should include cleaning the old surface, chipping away the edges to ensure adhesion, and applying a new topcoat.
- Typically, an asphalt resurfacing job performed by professionals should be completed in a day.
- Experts recommend sealing the driveway every year after doing asphalt resurfacing to prolong the driveway’s life. Resealing an asphalt driveway costs $0.20 to $0.70 per square foot.