|$ Driving Lessons: $40-$60 per hour.
|$ $ Driving Lessons: $30-$180 per lesson.
|$ $ $ All-Inclusive Packages: $200-$800+
There’s something every car owner has in common in the United States, and that is having to take driving lessons from a driving school.
It doesn’t matter if it was an entire course or just the test to get the license, the driving school will determine if you can ‘hit the road’ in any of the 50 states of America; and also, being over 16 years old is a requirement.
Learning how to drive and having good driving habits is essential to get out of the list of risk drivers, avoiding any accidents as much as possible.
Table of Contents
What’s Included In A Driving School Course?
Usually, a driving school will include two components in their lessons: educational classroom lessons, which are also called driver education, and the practice lessons, which are taken behind-the-wheel, and called driver training.
Completing both components of the driving school course is necessary to pass the driving test to get a license.
The requirements and number of study hours you need to complete the driving course will vary by state; check with your state’s department of motor vehicles for more accurate information.
What Affects The Cost Of A Driving School?
Prices for taking a driving school course can vary depending on the state and city you are located in and gasoline costs.
Typically, a driving school can charge $30 to $180 for educational driving lessons and between $50 $150 per actual on-the-road driving session.
Breaking down the price of driving lessons per hour, the price range goes from $40 to $60 per hour of driving lessons.
Many driving schools offer all-inclusive packages that meet their state’s regulations and can cost $200 and $800 or more.
The best option is to look near your location to find a driving school, like Advantage Driving School in California or Revolution Driving School in New Jersey.
A popular option is to complete the driver’s education lessons online; according to TeenDriving.com, some great online driving courses are offered at DriversEd.com, iDriveSafely.com, and Aceable.com.
The following comparison shows examples of price differences between some driving schools:
|$149 ($60 per hour)
|Advantage Driving School
|San Jose, CA
|$330 (55 per hour)
|Dawn’s Auto School
|Revolution Driving School
Things To Consider
- First, search for driving schools near you for details about their schedules and fees. Check with the department of motor vehicles of your state for more accurate information about the hours you need of the driving school to get the license.
- It’s important to know that you need car insurance to have driving lessons on the road. Usually, the insurance is covered by the driving school.
- A parent or adult can also provide driving training for just the cost of gasoline, but it’s important to verify vehicle and safety laws and regulations. Here’s a video made by DGN Driving School that shows how can be on-the-road driving training.
- Now there exist in all the states the graduated driver licensing (GDL) program, which puts limits on teen drivers and new drivers. This program was implemented due to the high number of vehicle accidents that were caused by young drivers.
- Not all vehicles can be used for driving lessons. All vehicles used for behind-the-wheel training need to have specific characteristics, like having less than four years old, airbags, adjustable steering column, power seats, dual-control brakes, and driving aids.