|$ Squeegee strips: $4 to $24 (the pair)||$ $ Standard replacement: $14 to $40 (the pair)||$ $ $ Luxury car: $30 to $100+ (the pair)|
People that have driven in bad weather conditions like heavy rain and snow know how essential it is to have a good pair of functional windshield wipers on the car.
Windshield wipers are an essential part of the car that contributes to safety by letting you have your windshield clean, clear, and free of water, dirt, and snow.
So, when their performance is not as good as before, or you start experimenting difficult to see when using them, that means it’s time to think of replacing them.
Table of Contents
When Is It Time To Change My Car’s Windshield Wipers?
Most experts recommend replacing the windshield wipers of your car every six months, but typically, people change the wipers when they start degrading and start having a bad performance due to the regular use.
There are some signs that the windshield wipers will make that indicate the time to replace them has come; you can see these signs very clearly, and they are often manifested as streaks on the windshield, missed spots that were skipped by the wipers, splitting, and squeaking.
Which Are The Different Windshield Wipers Replacement Options?
Windshield wipers come in different sizes and models, and they all have different characteristics, materials, and features (like heated windshield wipers) that will make them more or less expensive (rubber is typically less expensive than silicone or Teflon).
Not every type of windshield wiper will fit your car. This will always depend on the make and model of your vehicle and the manufacturer’s recommendation, and this is another factor that affects the cost of replacing them.
There’ are three main types of windshield wipers, you will recognize them by the variation in their blades, and they are divided into conventional, flat, or hybrid types.
This article made by Champion Autoparts explains everything about windshield wipers, the components, and the different types there exist.
Some vehicles will also have a windscreen washer system to help the wipers improve their function in dry or icy conditions; the washer system will spray water or antifreeze fluid at the windscreen to help the wipers remove dirt and ice better (depending on the case).
If your windshield wipers look to be in good condition, but they don’t perform as well as before, then you can think of replacing just the squeegee strip instead of replacing the whole windshield wiper; each squeegee strip can cost $2 to $12, or $4 to $24 for the pair.
If you want to replace the whole windshield wiper, a standard replacement, which includes the blade assembly, can cost $7 to $20 each or $14 to $40 for the pair.
As usual, replacing the wiper blades or the whole blade assembly on a luxury car will be more expensive and can cost $30 to $100 or more for the pair.
There are also special types of blades that tend to be more expensive, like beam blades or flat blades, which look sleeker because they don’t have the characteristic metal structure of the regular blades and can cost about $20 to $50 a pair.
Blades with a built-in heating system are also a special type; they are typically manufactured by small companies (like Everblades or Thermalblade) and can cost about $100 to $200 a pair.
You can find and buy windshield wipers at many types of shops like big box stores like Walmart, auto parts stores like Advance Auto Parts, online retailers like Amazon or Auto Parts Warehouse.
|Company||Windshield Wipers Blade Price Range (each)|
|Advance Auto Parts||$5.60 – $60|
|AutoZone||$5 – $50|
|Kmart||$7 – $60|
|Walmart||$4.90 – $20|
|Amazon||$8 – $180|
Things to Consider
- First, you need to check the condition of your wipers. If they look good but are not doing a good job, try cleaning the wipers and windshield with windshield washer fluid (not dish soap). Cleaning the wipers will help you keep them in good condition and make them last longer.
- If you have already decided to replace your windshield wipers, you need to look up your vehicle’s owner manual. Your vehicle will need a specific pair of windshield wipers with particular characteristics and a specific size that should be detailed on the car owner’s manual by the manufacturer, which varies depending on the make and model of your vehicle. If the blades are too long, they will hit each other, and if they are too short, they won’t fully clean your windscreen; that’s why choosing the perfect match for your car is essential.
- Do your homework and look at reviews on different brands and types of windshield wipers to know which is the best option for you. Check out this article made by the RoadShow about the best windshield wipers in the market.
- Usually, the shops or the mechanics that sell windshield wipers have reference books or software that help them determine the correct wiper replacement for your vehicle. Typically, they have a lot of experience to make sure the replacement matches your car perfectly.
- Shops and mechanics specializing in this type of service recommend replacing the entire wiper blade rather than refilling the squeegee strip. This is done because it is more convenient and easier to replace the blade assembly, which typically snaps into place and is easy to remove.
- Typically, when you buy a windshield wiper replacement at an auto parts store, the installation will be free with the purchase.
- Replacing the windshield wipers yourself is a relatively easy process that takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Here’s a video that shows you how to do it step-by-step.
- Many experts recommend filling the windshield wiper fluid when replacing the wipers, which can cost $3 to $20 or more, depending on the brand and how much you need (which comes detailed in the car owner’s manual).